Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Potty Training Diaries




The day I have dreaded for 2 and a half years has finally come. Potty training day!! After years of hearing horror stories from friends/relatives about the trials and tribulations associated with this dreaded, but necessary milestone, I was ready to put this off as long as possible. But, somehow or another I seemed to have mustered up the courage to give it a go. To be honest, I don't know much about potty training. I did read a book about potty training awhile back, so that is where I picked up some of the "fundamentals" if you will. Which leads me to ....
:EXHIBIT A"-The stash of M&Ms

I have been giving 2 M&Ms each time Blake pees in the potty.

"EXHIBIT B"-The stash of "surprises" for the first couple of poops in the potty. As you can see, we have resorted to 100% bribery.

Unfortunately, we have not been able to give Blake any of his surprises, because we have had zero success in the poop department :(
Overall, day one was pretty crazy. He went through 7 pairs of underwear and I felt like I spent most of my day cleaning puddles up off of the floor. The day wasn't all bad though, it was brightened by these two little quotes of the day, "Mommy, no pee is coming out of that thing," and "The pee is sleeping." I was cracking up. The mind of a two year old is just hilarious sometimes!

Day two was definitely better. Aside from a poop accident, there were hardly any pee accidents. Berkley even got in on the action. Everytime Blake would yell, "Come on! Come on!" We would all three run to the bathroom and cheer for Blake! Berkley was especially excited because she figured out that she would get an M&M too if Blake peed in the potty!




Day 3 has been great so far, with the exception of one poop-in-the-pants :) (It's funny how the poop always seems to "wake up" when we are nowhere near the potty.) Blake has had no pee accidents and we even ventured out of the house today for some fresh air. We made a quick trip to the playground so the kiddos could burn some energy. Later, Blake did inform me that he could not use any toilet in the house other than the one with his football seat because those toilets weren't "potty trained". Haha! But I must say, I think the highlight of Blake's day was figuring out that his new big boy underwear have a special "pocket" that is perfect for storing his tape measure.....Lovely.